CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

3321-M&W (Children's literature Authors/Chapter 1)

Good evening everyone. I found this website which basically lists different children's authors along with some title of their books.

http://dir.yahoo.com/Arts/Humanities/Literature/Authors/Children_s/?skw=authors+children%27s+books
Robert Munsch is among the authors listed and happens to be the author of one of my favorite books titled Love You Forever. This book is about a mother affirming her love for her son as he grows. Among the lyrics in the featured poem in this book are "As long as I'm living my baby you'll be". I usually read this book to my pre-kinders as they began school. I would explain to them how deep a mother's love is and even though they were away while at school, they would be joined at the end of the day. Here is his website for anyone interested in viewing and listening to his stories. http://www.robertmunsch.com/

Eric Carle is another one of my favorite authors. His books can be used in to teach math, science, language, social-emotional skills and much more. His books are enjoyed by many children. You could do a whole lesson plan on just one of his books. http://www.eric-carle.com/

This website listed some new authors, I'm not familiar with their books but here is the url address: http://newlondonmainstreet.org/events/fishtales2009/authors.php

In reference to Chapter 1, as a teacher we strongly influence the children under our supervision. They know us as well as we know them. Children will model you and carry out certain behaviors for their peers and family. Children will act like you and speak like you. It is true that how you set up a cozy, quiet but interesting library area will have an impact on the interest children have in reading. You can develop good reading attitudes by first of all, showing children to respect the books we have in class. As I worked with pre-kinders, I made it important in my classroom that a torn book would be taken care of and that it was each child's job in the reading area to notice the books in need. As a teacher places value on books, so will most of the children in class of course there will always be some few exceptions.

Here is a poem I posted near my desk and I wanted to share by Haim Ginott:

Between Teacher and Child
By: Haim Ginott

I have come to the frightening conclusion
I am the decisive element in the classroom.
It is my personal approach that creates the climate.
It is my daily mood that makes the weather.
As a teacher I possess tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous.
I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration.
I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal.
In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis
Will be escalated or de-escalated, and a child humanized or de-humanized
.