There were many things on the list of personal writing that I engage in such as texting, emailing, writing a grocery list, and/or personal notes for my children. Texting has become a big way for me to maintain communication at all times with my oldest son. I tend to send him short messages such as "have a great day"....or at the end of the day, a simple, "be ready I'm on my way". I text to communicate with my husband, relatives, and friends as well. Somehow as in writing, I am able to say things I wouldn't normally say otherwise. Is it because I can't see the other person's facial reactions, don't know. Usually, when face to face with someone you are constantly looking at their body language, are they interested in your conversation, how are they feeling about what you just said and what are they thinking I'm sure are thoughts we all can relate to when in conversation with people. These same concerns just don't seem to be present when texting though, the only thing to really worry about when texting is "tone". I have sent messages that leave me wondering "I hope they read this is the tone that I am expressing and not in another way". In the past, I remember telling my friends, why text if you simply have something to say just pick up the phone and ask. Though when you do call people, it's almost as if the conversation has to have a certain format, such as salutation: Hello, how is your day, are you busy, etc. Then it is followed by state your purpose for the phone call: I am calling because, I would like to know, what did you do today, etc.. Finally there comes closure to the conversation, I will see or speak with you soon, take care, etc. With texting, you somehow avoid all that and simply get to the point.
Monday, September 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Hey Angie,
I have to agree when you say that text has become a great way to communicate. I never thought of myself as a texter, however it has consumed my everyday life as I use it to communicate with my loved ones as wel as my kiddos. It helps cut down all the intro's and I can get right to the point. marta
Post a Comment